[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: (Fwd) Alleged security problems with (French) MSIE V2.0

Here's an update on the alleged problem. Once again, I have not
tried this myself.

* The problem also seems to exist in MSIE for Windows 3.1, English
version 2.1.

* The problem occurs when the server sends the browser a certificate
signed by a non-Verisign CA (maybe any cert where the signer
is not known to the browser?).

MSIE allegedly displays a 'locked key' icon, indicating a protected
connection, but sends the GET request in the clear.

I do not know if the server (which server?) sends the requested page.
At the minimum, the request is potentially exposed to prying eyes.

Peter Trei
trei@process.com

Disclaimer: I am not representing my employer.